Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Brushin' Up on my Skills!


Okay…in all seriousness I know that I am not the best cook, mainly because I never try. It was just something that never interested me, but since having my son I just feel a little guilty now not knowing how to cook. I mean he isn’t even eating real meals yet and I already feel like I should be able to cook him a hearty homemade dinner! So I decided to start practicing now [which I know my husband is grateful for] and I have been busy pinning different recipes to my Pinterest to try. Here is how my first real attempt at this went….

I thought I would start off with a crock pot meal [how much easier could you get, right?] very little room for error. I found this great recipe online for Southwestern Two Bean Chicken. Now, my husband LOVES everything to be as spicy as possible [I hate spicy food with a passion] and then of course we need to keep my 4 year old in mind because he can be a picky eater. Needless to say I had to “tweak” the recipe a bit, here’s what I ended up using to make a happy medium with all the different taste pallets of my family.


4 Raw, Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 8 oz. each)
1 Can of Pinto Beans (rinsed and drained)
1 Can of Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies (just adds a little bit of spice)
1lb Frozen Corn
1 (12 oz) Jar of Salsa (I used the Wal-Mart brand Lime & Garlic) 


I placed the chicken breasts on the bottom of my crock pot then poured the tomatoes and salsa on top. Next I added the beans and corn. I cooked this on high for about 6 hours, the chicken literally shreds itself and as an added bonus the house smelled delicious!



I cooked up some brown rice to serve it over and it was so yummy [and easy]! My 4 year old ate the entire bowl I gave him and I got the thumbs up from my husband to make it again [although as always he added that it could have been even more spicy]! Yea…maybe next time keep dreamin’! Thinking about trying this great chicken pot pie recipe next and kinda excited about it! Will let you know how it turns out!





No comments:

Post a Comment