Saturday, November 1, 2014

2014 Family Vacation!

So.

I have been working on this post for a bit, it’s been non-stop since we've been back almost THREE WEEKS AGO! But we are baaaccckkkk! It was a wonderful family vacation and just what the doctor ordered…of course the second day back and I’m sick. But it was totally worth it to get away and the boys had such a great time.











This was our first time taking advantage of Camp Carnival which is like a day camp experience for kids on the ship, they have all sorts of activities planned and they provide you with the complete schedule ahead of time so you can plan your days accordingly. The boys would usually go for a few hours in the mid-morning and then after dinner from 7 to 10 pm and both hated to be picked up earlier than told since they were having so much fun! Which meant I didn't feel so bad dropping them off there and letting someone else watch my kids.


Our first stop was Aruba, which is a beautiful island! We had booked a tour with the Jolly Rogers Private Experience but unfortunately due to our ship getting late clearance we did not get off the ship in time and missed our tour…which really sucked since both boys were so excited to be on a “real” pirate ship. So, we ended up spending the day on the beach, building sand castles and playing in the water. Best part about Aruba was…


Nash is no longer afraid of the ocean…or waves…or sand…or of anything beach related!!!


FINALLY.






Now, he did cry for a bit when I first picked him up and walked into the ocean with him…screamed is more of an accurate description actually, as bystanders floated within listening distance and proceeded to give me the “that poor baby, what a terrible parent she is for not just letting him get out of the water. If I knew the number to Aruba child protective services, we would totally call them right now” stares. Well, screw you judgmental tourist because after several minutes of singing the “Sailboat song” which I totally made up on the fly, he was good as new and happily slapping salt water into Mommy’s eyes. No. I will not sing you the “Sailboat song”. It was smooth sailing (ha. see what I did there?) from there on out with every beach we visited. I am sure there are several other amazing sights we missed out on seeing in Aruba but lugging around two kids, one diaper bag, one other shit we needed to bring bag, three sets of snorkel gear and my husband…it was just easier to pick a nice shaded spot on the beach and enjoy the water so that’s exactly what we did!


Our next stop was Curacao, this was to my own surprise my favorite island…like favorite out of all the islands we've EVER cruised too. I felt like I was in Europe, it was such a beautiful place! With Dutch inspired architecture and a fort to explore, we loved it! It downpour rained on us the first hour we were on the island which made the humidity almost unbearable but the sun eventually came back out and we spent the day roaming the city streets, looking in shops, grabbing a liquid lunch at this well-known all fresh fruit smoothie truck which was everything everyone said it would be. We then took a taxi over to this popular tourist beach, which name I cannot for the life of me remember but it was the prettiest water I think I have ever seen…so clear and blue you could see straight through to the bottom. Nash and I did not swim but instead relaxed up in this shaded patio area overlooking the water while I read and he slept (for a hot minute) meanwhile Mason and Vince played in the water and snorkeled for a while. Then Mommy and Nash found the bar. Three “Curacao Sunset” drinks later I was feeling the island life…Nash had two apples juices but then I had to cut him off…he was flirting with the barmaid so bad I was afraid he might have gone home with her, but he did get a free popsicle out of it so kudos to him.












The last island we visited was Grand Turk, I was not impressed with this island the first time I visited it but I will admit that this trip was much better. We ended up at Jack’s Shack and spent the entire day there! It’s just this little bar right off the beach just steps from the port so there’s no taxi’s involved or any real threat of being delayed to your ship. The food was your standard burgers and fries but the drinks were delicious and the owners we’re wonderful! If we ever cruise to this island again I will definitely head back there! Oh and I almost forgot about the DOG…no not our dog at home but Topher! The officially Jack’s Shack mascot…he was some sort of poodle mix and just the sweetest! He really does have the life, he LIVES on an island, doesn't have to WORK, and spends his days digging holes in the sand, swimming in the ocean and eating CHEESEBURGERS from the bar…I would love to know what that person did in a previous life to get this current gig.











Mason became some what of a celebrity during our cruise, especially after he was the grand finale winner of the Hasbro Game Show!!! 


His prizes came in the mail a few days after we got home and he was so happy, it was such a cool experience for him!



After we got back to Orlando we decided to make a quick pit stop at Legoland before heading back home to Georgia! My mom met us there too so she could spend some time with the boys. We were tired, it was hot and crowded BUT the boys both had a blast so it was totally worth it! Best part about the park was there was just as many rides for Nash to do as there was for Mason which is normally not the case!

Next up on our always busy calender is Tiger Scouts "camping" and Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment