Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Camping.

Let me start by saying that I have camped maybe…twice in my life and I. HATE. CAMPING. If there is an RV involved then we can discuss the possibly but otherwise, no. BUT for my sweet Mason and Tiger Scouts, I was willing to give it another go (maybe as an adult it would be better, not so bad, hell I might even learn to like it)! Also, I need to state that I have a very realistic fear of spiders…there have been moments on several occasions when I’ve encountered a spider in my home and thought “You know what, you can have the house.” No joke.

So, let me paint the picture for you. It’s 6 am on a Saturday and we’re up and packed and on our way. It’s about a two hour drive, all back roads and both boys were enjoying the ride. Camp Thunder which is a Boy Scout camp is beautiful, peaceful and quietly located right on a lake. As we backed up from the registration cabin, I thought “well, maybe this will be nice after all.”

Then we heard it…that noise that makes every mother instantly cringe and then immediately think “damn.” Nash’s milk that morning and breakfast bar apparently did not sit well with him and he proceeded to vomit soured milk all down the front of him and in his car seat. Wonderful. We’re here five minutes and I’m already down one outfit for him…I only packed two! It was JUST an overnight trip. Plus, now the car is going to smell like vomit for the two hour ride home since I can’t exactly wash his car seat cover. Sigh. That should have been the first sign. We get him cleaned up and changed as best we could then head over to our camp sight to meet up with our pack.

Now, instead of tents we decided to reserve a “raised tent” since my husband knows how I feel about bugs, specifically spiders. Now. In my mind this “raised tent” was like a tiny cabin-ish thing…you know…four walls, a door, maybe a window and of course at least one outlet. Yeah, no. It was a standard tent with velcro straps to keep it closed (no zipper at all) lifted off the ground about 3 feet on cinder blocks with two wooden cots inside. It was still all okay, no big deal…at least I’m not sleeping on the ground, I can handle this…and then I walked inside and was smacked in the face from several different angles by SPIDERWEBS.

They. Were. Everywhere.

But I didn’t actually see any spiders, so I was still alright after I did a full body inspection for spiders. It was going to be okay.

After getting settled, we hiked over to the morning announcements and was given our schedule for the events that day. I was feeling a little bit better about the place on the walk back and Nash seemed to be feeling better. We got back to camp and we’re trying to get all the kids organized for the pumpkin decorating when I hear the cry only a mother knows…that of her own kid. I came around the corner to find Nash crying/screaming with blood running down his chin from his mouth. Directly from an eye witness, I was told that he apparently tripped on a raised wooden pole then proceeded to fall face first into a table. It. Was. Bad. The swelling started almost immediately on the side of his cheek and up under his upper lip was a serious cut that was already turning a bluish/purplish color, he was shaking and I felt so useless because I’m in the woods. I probably would have taken him to the hospital if my husband hadn’t been there but he insisted that he would be fine and that there was nothing a doctor could do. So, while the kids decorated pumpkins and hiked over to their morning shooting activity, I stayed behind with Nash in our “raised tent”. After he finally stopped crying, he slept and then got up long enough to crawl into the lap and sleep some more. My poor baby boy. It was horrible.

By the time the troops got back Nash was up and seemed to be in better spirits, he was playing with the other boys and another Mom brought Ibuprofen with her that I borrowed for him since I, of course did not pack such things. It was JUST an overnight trip.

The rest of the day was spent being shuffled from post to post doing different activities, working towards badges and dealing with random tantrums from Nash (it was just not a good day for him). It was not until the Birds of Prey show that things took a turn for the worst with me (Yes. It can get worst). We were waiting for the show to begin when I heard some raised voices about two rows and to the right ahead of me…it was something along the lines of “Oh my God! You’ve got to get it off!” These words never sit well with me. Then I saw it. There was a HUGE, hairy, black spider on the back of a grown man who was now squirming like a 12 year old girl. Someone knocked it off and of course no one could find it and the row cleared out pretty quick after that. Vince completely missed it, of course and then reassured me by telling me it wasn’t a big deal.

Yeah, right.

The day went on and we had sat down to eat dinner, Mexican. I’m no camping expert but I’m pretty sure that was not a wise meal decision. I passed on the re-fried beans. Anyways, I was telling my fellow campers about the GIANTIC spider that attacked the bodybuilder just a few feet from me leaving him with a massive hole in his back. Blood was everywhere. When one of the other Mom’s was like “Yeah there’s ton of spiders out here. I’ve been camping dozens of times and I can’t tell you how many of those times I’ve woken up with them crawling on me. Just this morning, there was a jumping spider in my tent.

JUMPING spider. Jumping. Since when do those fuckers jump?!?! Nope. I was out. And the fact that she was so CALM about it. No. No. NO. I told Vince, you stay here with Mason and Nash and I will pick you up in the morning. I packed, he laughed but there was no way. Nope. Then Mason overheard I was leaving, he knew how I felt about spiders so he naturally assumed that was why and then he decided he didn’t want to sleep with them either (can’t say I blame him). So, we all ended up leaving. I did have a good time while we were there…you know when I wasn’t cleaning up sour milk vomit, or nursing a busted lip and swollen cheek, or chasing a tantrum throwing toddler, or fighting off a massive black spider from a petrified grown man or battling jumping spiders to the death.

Once home and snuggled nicely in bed with the TV on, ready to watch an episode of our show I said to Vince “this is my kind of camping”.

P.S. – I have pictures somewhere but I think my mad dash to escape the spiders I misplaced it…still need to hunt it down and download them so for now these photos will do!
 
Mas being awarded his badges and belt loops for October!

 
 
Mas getting to throw a pie in Tim, our Pack 265 Leader's face for selling the most popcorn!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment