Monday, April 29, 2013

Savannah Trip!

Oh the fun we had [this is a total understatement]...if you've never been to Savannah, Georgia...stop whatever it is your doing...and plan a trip there...now. It has definitely become one of the top cities that I love to visit! It really is amazing to see a place that is so beautifully maintained with all of it's history that is reflected at every turn, anywhere you look. It's crazy how modern cars and amenities just seem out of place there, l literally expected to see a horse drawn carriage down every road, it just seemed to make more sense there. 

Our trip started out late Friday afternoon, we checked into this beautiful bed & breakfast off Jones street in the heart of the historic downtown district. Our suite was amazing, the room was completely decorated in Victorian decor and it was so charming. We had already all decided that since the downtown district was only about a two mile radius across that we would just park the cars for the weekend and walk everywhere! Our first stop after my other two girlfriends arrived was definitely DINNER! We ended up at The Olde Pink House, which is a beautiful 18th century mansion right on the Reynolds Square. To say the food was good would be a complete lie...the food was A-maZingly blow your mind...BEST damn meal...I think I've ever had...like slap you're mama good! I had the pecan crusted chicken with a blackberry bourbon glaze, sweet potato with pecan vanilla butter and mac-n-cheese [Mmmmm...must go back to visit just to eat this again]. The restaurant is reservation only on the top two floors [which of course we were unaware of] but all was not lost because we were told that downstairs in the basement portion of the mansion was a first come first serve area...and let me tell you...once we saw the basement tavern we definitely would have rather have eaten down there! It was just the coolest atmosphere! The ceilings were low and lined with very old dark wooden beams, it was dark, the only light coming from overhead lanterns and tall candles on each table. There were also two fireplaces, one on each side of the basement. It was just so different and unlike any restaurant I have ever eaten at!


This is a stock photo...it was way too dark to get a photo when we were here!
  
Plus they made this heavenly drink called The Hummingbird which was gin and champagne mixed [never would have thought to mix those two together...but is was soooooo good]! 

After dinner we walked down to River Street, so the girls could check out some of the shops and old buildings. As the sun went down it seemed that the night life really picked up, there was live street music and tons of tasty beverages to be had as you walked around to take in all the sights! We eventually ended up at Club One, which has a nightly cabaret show...it was pretty damn funny and oh so entertaining! By the time the show was over and we made it back to the room...we we're spent! All of us being mommies and usually passed out asleep at that ungodly hour...I can't even remember the last time I was up that late...

The rule for the trip was no alarms!

Well, I was up at 7:00 am anyways...guess my old body is just used to it now...but it was all good! I was so excited about walking the historic district and taking as many pictures as humanly possible that I didn't even notice I had only gotten about four hours of sleep! So, we headed off to breakfast at the Cobblestone Cafe which we had discovered the night before as we we're walking around and it sounded so yummy we decided to come back in the morning for breakfast. 



The food was delicious but the best part was of course the strawberry and mango mimosa's we had [I should start every morning with one of those...does that make me an alcoholic? Eh...I don't care]!



It was such a gorgeous day for photos too, there was not a cloud in the sky and it was a sunny 70 degrees which was just perfect weather for getting lost in an old historic city with three of the best girls and my trusty Cannon DSLR Rebel camera! We probably walked somewhere around 40 blocks which included 10 different city squares and one very cool, very old cemetery! It will probably take me forever to edit all the pictures I took, but since editing is my favorite part, I don't mind at all!  



After about six straight hours of walking, our dogs feet where definitely barking screaming at us! So, we decided a nice pedicure was in order, with a side of extra massage and of course when your on vacation with three other girls the total thing to do is get matching toes right?...so that's exactly was we did! 



After probably the MOST NEEDED EVER pedicure of my life we decided to head over to Tybee Island for dinner, the girls wanted to go to the Crap Shack. I will admit that I am not a seafood lover [I know, I know "I don't know what I'm missing" but look...it's just not my cup of tea] so dinner was just okay for me but everyone else really enjoyed their meals and it was really pretty to be sitting on the water, so I have no complaints!



After we ate and drove back across the bridge to Savannah it was close to 10:00 pm and we all we're "jones-inning" for some warm apple pie...so we literally spent the rest of the evening walking around looking for some kind of diner or shop that sold pie [I know we sound like a bunch of fatties, but it was fun! We found some cool places that we would have otherwise never seen]. We sadly never found our pie but we did find ice cream so we loaded up on that instead! The rest of the already late evening was spent in the charming room of our B&B with glasses full of sparkling wine mixed with orange juice, all crowded onto the queen size bed in front of the only television in the whole place just laughing and being stupid [don't get to do that very often anymore]!

We were bummed when we woke up Sunday morning...we knew it was our last day here and it was such a pretty place that it sucked to leave [plus...who really ever wants their vacation to end???]. We ended up at Clary's Cafe which was about two blocks from our B&B, an employee at the Crap Shack had suggested it to us the night before. They were apparently famous for they're stuffed french toast, it was super yummy food!



Okay...so now don't think we are a bunch of morbid girls but we decided to head over to another huge old catholic cemetery to take a few more photos before we all had to get back on the road for the trip home. The old cemeteries were just so amazing! The large statues and old mausoleums from centuries ago were just so gorgeous and were captured so beautifully on camera. I swear I think I took about a million ga-zillion photos! I started editing them last night and finish up the one below just before bed. I cannot wait to finished up the rest of them! 



Thanks to my husband who gave me absolutely no hassles about going on this trip and just wanted me to have a good time! But most of all Thank you to my girls, they are the one's who made this a total success! This will become a yearly tradition for us and we have already decided that we will be invading New Orleans next year! So fun!

Now it's back to work and the real world...boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment